Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Begining

This Journey really began when I was 13. (Thank you Puberty!)

It all started on my scalp... and it runs in my family so we had a pretty good idea what it was. (Thank you Nana - for passing that gene down!)

At the time we tired all kinds of treatment - oral drugs (didn't work), topical (worked, sometime), and light box therapy (too expensive).  Finally we settled on topical steroids that I used on and off for about 10 years. You know, I had to switch to different ones all the time because my body would get used to the steroid.


About 3 years ago I started developing Psoriasiatic Arthritis. So now that plagues my joints every once in while.

Fast-forward to a year ago - I was pregnant and could no longer use steroids for my skin or glucosamine for my joints. Now what?

I settled for prayer and moisturizing cream (I used CeraVe - I liked it). Well that seemed to help while I was pregnant - it was under control with no bleeding and very few scales. I am very thankful that it didn't get worse as I  have heard of that happening to some women when they are pregnant.


So now, 9 months postpartum I have flared and its as bad as it ever was. Only this time, I am nursing and I am very uncomfortable with using steroid creams, tar shampoo, or biologicals. And in my area there is only one lightbox available and the place won't take my insurance.

So... thats why I am here. To heal my psoriasis - using as little drugs as possible.

I picked up "Healing Psoriasis" by Dr. John Pagano. 
 


I am working through it. This won't be easy. But one day at a time - maybe I can reverse this disease- and live itching and pain free.

(For more information on Psoriasis check out The National Psoriasis Organization

No comments:

Post a Comment